Posts for tag: Back To School
Backpacks, paper, pencils and clothes are just a few of the things your youngster may need before the start of a new school year. When shopping for your child during back-to-school season and throughout the year, don’t forget to add proper fitting shoes to your shopping list.
Your child’s feet are rapidly changing and growing. In fact, feet grow so fast when kids are young that parents are often surprised at how often they need to change shoes sizes to accommodate the growth.
According to the American Podiatric Medical Association, parents should consider a few things when selecting shoes for their little one. Remember these tips the next time you buy a new pair of shoes for your child:
- Proper size. Poor-fitting footwear can lead to irritation and other problems, so always measure your child’s feet before buying a new pair of shoes. Because feet are seldom the same size, always buy shoes for your child’s larger foot.
- Avoid sharing shoes. Hand-me-down shoes can spread fungi such as nail fungus and athlete’s foot.
- Index finger. As a general rule, leave an index finger's width from the top of the big toe to the end of the shoe.
- Breathing room. Buy shoes made of natural, breathable fabrics that are soft and pliable like your child’s feet.
- Test them out. Always bring your child with you to the store to try on shoes before purchasing a new pair. When testing out shoes, the child should wear the socks that they would normally wear to ensure proper fit. Have your child walk around the store for comfort and fit.
- Examine the shoe itself.Your child’s shoe should have a firm heel counter, adequate cushioning of the insole, good flexibility and a built-in arch.
Feet are an important, but often overlooked, part of the body. Since kids’ feet are soft and pliable, they are subject to abnormal pressures at a young age that can easily cause foot problems and deformity. By promoting healthy footwear choices and consulting your podiatrist whenever you suspect your child has a foot problem, you can ensure healthy development of feet.